A brief account of the Presbyterian Church in Flemington
We embrace our history as a church of Jesus Christ in Flemington, New Jersey. While buildings may come and go, the life and spirit of the church is a reflection of the congregation that serves Jesus Christ in ministry to the world.
In 1791, fifty-five men and women petitioned the Presbytery of New Brunswick for their own church in Flemington. The new church was formed under the name Flemington English Presbyterian Church in Amwell. The congregation purchased more than an acre of land, and in the part of the present graveyard lying nearest our current church, they broke ground for their own meeting house in the spring of 1793.
During the 1850s, as the community and church continued to grow, the original meeting house was torn down, and a larger church was constructed on the site where the current sanctuary stands. The new church was dedicated on May 14, 1857. The church continued to grow and a new sanctuary was needed.
Construction began in 1882 on the present sanctuary, which was dedicated on November 1, 1883, the 107th anniversary of the church. The sanctuary is an excellent example of an Akron Plan style sanctuary, with semicircular pews gathered around the Chancel area. Of particular notice are the stained glass windows, some of them by Tiffany, the ornate pulpit, the Celtic cross floating freely in front of the organ pipes, and the pipe organ from the Austin Organ Company.